When it is cold outside, warm comfort foods hit. the. spot! However, these types of dishes can also be loaded with calories. Today I’m sharing one of my new lighter comfort dishes: Chicken Pesto Pasta
2- 5oz cans No Salt Added Chicken Breast
2 cups fresh baby spinach
1/4 cup Pesto
1 tsp Olive Oil
8oz Whole Wheat Penne Pasta
Optional Parmesan Cheese topping
1) Boil Pasta according to package, ~10-12min until Al dente, in a medium sized pot
2) Drain the pasta, and return to pot. Add rest of ingredients and turn stove on low. Stir and let cook for add’l ~5minutes until the rest of the ingredients are warmed.
3) Top with parmesan cheese and enjoy!
4) Can also add a side of “cheesy toast” (Take 1 slice whole wheat bread, top with butter, garlic powder, and cheddar cheese. Toast in toaster oven for approximately ~3 min, or while pasta is finishing on the stove. )
This recipe makes healthy swaps by:
1) Using Whole Wheat Pasta in place of White Pasta
2) Add spinach for additional nutrients, fiber, and vegetable serving
3) Uses No Added Salt canned chicken for added protein
What is your favorite comfort dish? What changes can you make to boost it’s nutrient power?