So glad that it is finally the weekend! Can’t wait to have some time to relax. Today I wanted to share 5 things that are going on in the nutrition world and give you some information to ponder over the weekend while hanging out by the pool with a delicious frozen beverage 🙂
1) So we all know that BMI is used to tell us if we are overweight or obese, but how exactly accurate is that reading? Research suggests that BMI may not be that accurate for predicting a person’s longevity or how “healthy” they are. While it’s still recommended for now to keep your BMI within the normal range, it’s something to think about.
2) Has anyone else tried the app Fooducate? I think I’m addicted to scanning barcodes and picking foods that are a “B” or higher. I’m not saying that I’m going to eliminate all products that come up as a “D”, but it’s fun to see how products are rated. Plus it takes grocery shopping to a whole other level.
3) Blueberries are in there prime right now, and I suggest buying them now while they are on sale and stocking some in the freezer. Blueberries are full of antioxidants and are a great addition to pancakes, oatmeal, smoothies, yogurt, etc. These little powerhouses are a great snack to have on hand!
4) Did you know that on average being outside in the sun for only 10-15 min will give you enough radiation for your body to produce 10,000 IUs of Vitamin D? The sun really does have healing powers! Tomorrow I’m going to get my fill of Vitamin D by the pool 🙂
5) I’m really craving a bowl of frozen yogurt. While fro-yo stores are all the rage right now, but the self-serve yogurt machines and the enormous topping bars can make your “healthy snack” add up to a lot more calories. Try to stick with the plain or tart yogurt and choose the fresh fruit for toppings. Or just try not to go overboard, portion control and moderation please ladies and gentlemen.
Now I hope you all enjoy your weekend!