Yesterday I searched for recipes to use up the rest of my lentils. I found one on FannetasticFood for Sweet Potato & Lentil Curry. I tried to follow her basic recipe, and just made a few minor adjustments. Here is the recipe with my minor adaptations.
- 1/2 cup dried green lentils
- 1 large yam, peeled and cubed
- 1 (13.5oz) can of light coconut milk
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 2 tbsp hot sauce
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- Cook lentils with 1 1/4 cup water. Combine in a sauce pan, bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for ~20 min.
- In another sauce pan, combine the remaining ingredients, and cook until the potatoes are soft over medium heat, ~20 min.
- After the lentils have absorbed most of the liquid, dump them in to the other pan to combine all of the ingredients together. Simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve! (Serve with additional hot sauce as desired, some of us like things spicy!)
This recipe pairs well with a piece of toast or baguette. Plus a glass of red wine would add a nice touch 😉
Have you ever cooked with lentils?