We are now headstrong into summer, and one of the best things about summer, lots of fruits and vegetables are in season! Everyone knows fruits and veggies are a dietitian’s best friend 🙂 Anyways today I have a recipe for you that calls for one of my new favorite vegetables, eggplant. Eggplant seems to be a vegetable that people have to “acquire” a taste for, and I will admit that I am new to the eggplant bandwagon. However, I have learned that when eggplant is made correctly it is actually quite delicious. Today I will share one of my favorite eggplant recipes, Eggplant Parmesan.
1) First, wash and cut your eggplant horizontally into circles.
2) Lay all the circles on to a baking sheet and cover with salt. (Don’t worry about the amount, it will get rinsed off later. The salt helps to rid the eggplant of excess water and firm it up before cooking.One of the complaints I hear from people is that eggplant is “too mushy”- this will solve that problem.)
3) Let the eggplant sit in the salt for about 30 min.
4) Rinse all the salt off of the eggplant and dry.
5) I then followed this recipe here, it’s pretty basic and easy to follow. Plus a few things can be changed to make it even more healthy 😉 Use Egg Beaters instead of a real egg, Get a spaghetti sauce that does not have added sugar, Use a low-fat or skim mozzarella cheese or go a little bit lighter on the cheese to cut back on the fat even more. Either way, this recipe is a great one to try if this is your first time cooking with eggplant. Let me know how it turns out!
How do you like to eat Eggplant?