Joining in with Peas and Crayons for Sensible Snacking in June! I had originally posted these snack ideas over on Stevie’s blog ColorfulCommotion and thought they would be great to share again this month for summer. Here are a few of my favorite snacks and why I recommend them!
- These green little soybeans are a great snack pick! They are so versatile and can be eaten alone, warm, cold, on salads, in wraps, etc.
- ~1/2 cup shelled edamame is only 125 calories and provides 12g of protein + its packed with vitamins and minerals
2) Fresh Cut Veggies and Hummus
- Fresh Cut Veggies are ALWAYS a great snack because they are basically calorie free and nutrient dense
- Add hummus on some side for an additional serving of protein and healthy fats to help make the snack more filling and satisfying
3) Green Smoothies
- If you stop over at my blog you can find the recipe my favorite Green Smoothie! Plus I will be adding my new concoctions as I experiment over the summer, or you can always try your own combination!
- Combines fresh veggies (spinach) + fruit (banana) + protein (whey protein powder) for about 200-300 calories depending on your add-ins
4) Overnight Oats and Berries
- Oatmeal is my all-time favorite breakfast, but when it’s 90 degrees and humid in the summer, I want something cooler in the morning…that’s where Overnight Oats come in.
- Combine ½ cup old-fashioned oats + 1 cup milk (any type) and chill in the fridge over night (or for an hour or two depending how thick you want it) then add fresh fruit of your choice! Berries are a great summer fruit packed with antioxidants.
5) Banana Soft-serve
- The best summer treat ever!
- All you need is a frozen banana and a food processor.
- Just place the banana in the processer and blend! A little milk will help make it slightly creamier, but it’s not needed.
- If you want to get fancy you can always blend in your favorite nut butter, dark chocolate bits, fruit, or whatever your favorite ice cream mix-in is.
- This is a great ice cream alternative that is just as indulgent but about half the calories!
Hope these snacks find their way into your diet this summer!
Linking up with WIAW