Today is Registered Dietitian Day, which was created by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics to celebrate the commitment and hard work that dietitians put forth every day to help make people’s lives healthier. Registered Dietitians are the food and nutrition EXPERTS! As the Academy explains,
“Registered dietitians are the food and nutrition experts, with the training and credentials vital for developing a personalized nutrition plan tailored for your unique nutritional needs, lifestyle and tastes. RDs can also help you manage or reduce your risk of chronic diseases such as diabetes, heart disease, cancer and hypertension to name a few.”
Here are some facts from the Academy that help explain what Registered Dietitians (RDs) do and who they are:
- “Registered Dietitians are the food and nutrition experts who can translate the science of nutrition into practical solutions for healthy living.”
- “Registered Dietitians have degrees in nutrition, dietetics, public health or a related field from well-respected, accredited colleges and universities, completed an internship and passed an examination.”
- “Registered Dietitians use their nutrition expertise to help individuals make unique, positive lifestyle changes.”
- “Registered Dietitians work throughout the community in hospitals, schools, public health clinics, nursing homes, fitness centers, food management, food industry, universities, research and private practice.”
- “Registered Dietitians are advocates for advancing the nutritional status of Americans and people around the world.”
Today is also exciting because RDs can now add a new credential to there name, and are officially Registered Dietitian Nutritionists or RDNs! Basically every Registered Dietitian IS a Nutritionist, but NOT every Nutritionist is a Registered Dietitian. This new credential will help establish the brand the Registered Dietitian Nutritionists are the nutrition experts. You can read more about it here.
So if you know any Registered Dietitian Nutritionists make sure tell them to have a happy day 🙂 To learn more about the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics or to find a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist in your area head over to EatRight.org.