As a registered dietitian, March happens to be on of my favorite months because we get to celebrate National Nutrition Month®!
National Nutrition Month®is celebrated annually by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics to promote nutrition education, healthy eating choices, and physical activity. The theme for National Nutrition Month® this year is “Eat Right, Your Way, Everyday”. Through out the month I will be posting a lot healthy eating tips and recipes to support the National Nutrition Month® campaign.
During this month I challenge you to make one new healthy choice every day. The only way to create healthy habits is to put them into practice. Here are some tips to get you started from the 2010 Dietary Guidelines for Americans:
- Enjoy your food, but eat less.
- Avoid oversized portions.
- Make half your plate fruits and vegetables.
- Switch to fat-free or low-fat (1%) milk.
- Compare sodium in foods like soup, bread, and frozen meals – and choose the foods with lower numbers.
- Drink water instead of sugary drinks.
What do you want to learn in National Nutrition Month®?