Dinner tonight after work came from one of my favorite restaurants, Chipotle. I got the Veggie Bowl, which came with rice, roasted peppers/onions, lettuce, tomato salsa, and black beans. This dish definitely had a lot of veggie power! We, as Americans, rarely meet the recommend vegetable intake of 2 to 3 cups by the USDA. Here are 5 simple tips to help you meet your vegetable quota:
- Make a “Green” Smoothie: Add 1/2 cup of spinach to your favorite smoothie. It will turn it a nice green color and pack in the nutrients. Plus, you will not even be able to taste it, promise.
- Add 1/2 to 1 cup of pureed vegetables (i.e. cauliflower, sweet potato, carrots) to your favorite casserole dish, like tuna noodle or macaroni and cheese to sneak in that additional vegetable serving.
- Top your favorite pizza with an additional 1/2 cup chopped vegetables or fresh arugula greens. The arugula helps to give it that gourmet appearance I think too that makes it visually appealing for dinner parties.
- At the beginning of the week pre-cut vegetables and put them in small containers or sandwich bags and place them in the fridge for accessible snacks through out the week. Pair with hummus or a low-fat dressing.
- Have a meatless meal one night a week. Find a new recipe that showcases a vegetable instead of a meat. Try out a new recipe each week to wow your taste buds.
What is your favorite way to eat vegetables?