Fall. Comfort food is coming into season! There is a time and place for all food in moderation. This past weekend I cooked up a recipe from an old kid’s cookbook that my younger cousin wanted to make: Piggy Pot Pie. Pot pie is one of my favorite foods to eat when there is that slight chill in the air that makes you want to snuggle under a warm blanket. While this recipe is not a “healthy dish”, it sure does a good job of warming the soul.
Piggy Pot Pie
– 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables (whatever kinds you like!)
-1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
-2 cups chopped cooked chicken
-1/2 cup plain yogurt
-1/3 cup water
-1/2 tsp dried thyme
-1/2 tsp ground sage
-1/8 tsp garlic powder
-1 package (10 biscuits) refrigerated buttermilk biscuits
1) Preheat oven to 400F
2) Combine vegetables, soup, chicken, yogurt, water, thyme, sage, and garlic powder in medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently.
3) Dump mixture into a baking dish
4) Shape the biscuits into “pigs” and place on top of the pot pie mixture
5) Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until the biscuits are done.
There are ways to make this recipe healthier, buy fat-free plain yogurt, buy low sodium creamed chicken soup, or make your own biscuit topping, to name a few. Like a said, there is a time and place for all foods in moderation. Enjoy your favorites this fall season 🙂